Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Green Beans

I have officially been shown the "art of canning". I have canned my first two "runs" of green beans on my own. We picked our beans Monday morning at my father-in-laws from "our row" of beans. The three kids and I went to pick and I was so proud of how well they did. I thought I would be alone in the garden, but they went right to work and were so set on getting their buckets full the job was done before we knew it. They were just as helpful at stringing and breaking. Who knew?!! I have never done this (as an adult) and they hadn't either and I was just happy to see how eager they were to help and do such a good job.
Here are some of our beans after we strung and broke them---didn't think I would ever call green beans "pretty", but now I am. Aren't they pretty?

Here they are on the stove and in the jars!!! YEA!! A very long 3 hours on the stove and to beatit all we had to do it again for 3 more hours----worth every minute to have these in the cabinet to enjoy later.
So, now we get to do this again. I hope the kids are as helpful and eager the second time as they were Monday!!!

3 comments:

Beck's Bounty said...

WOW - Congrats on your newest project ! Maybe this year's experiments will inspire and motivate your children to help a lot when you plant your very own veggie garden next year ?!?!

God Bless.
MomToCherubs
http://www.becksbounty.blogspot.com

3'sacharm said...

I know---who knew--right? I was so
glad they were "into" it and when we went back for more beans (8 gallons) they were still great. Tanner even made the comment it would be "a whole lot easier if this was at our house". So, get the hubby on board and we are good!!

Taylor said...

looks good!!
the deer (thats what we think anyway) ate ALL of our green bean plants :( but every thing else in the garden is doing well!

~later~